WE HAVE MOVED!

"And I beheld, and heard the voice of one eagle flying through the midst of heaven,
saying with a loud voice: Woe, woe, woe to the inhabitants of the earth....
[Apocalypse (Revelation) 8:13]

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

MEDITATION: THE CLOCK OF THE PASSION

THE CLOCK OF THE PASSION
FOR THE USE OF PERSONS DEVOTED
TO THE PASSION OF OUR LORD
THE CLOCK OF THE PASSION

BY ST. ALPHONSUS DE LIGUORI

St. Alphonsus (1696-1787) devised the Clock of the Passion as a meditation for Passion-tide during Lent to follow Jesus the last twenty-four hours of His life on this earth. His intent was to motivate each person to cherish a tender devotion towards Jesus Christ in His Passion. The events are put in sequence as found in Scripture and Sacred Tradition.

Please play the video below and listen as you read...
We have assembled beautiful religious art on the Passion of Christ to coincide with St. Aphonsus de Liguori's time line placed at the top of each painting. In addition, we have added excerpts from approved Church Litanies to encourage prayer as you meditate on the Passion of Our Lord. In addition, new meditations have been added from the book "The Passion Clock" by St. Alphonsus Liguori. The music chosen is Miserere mei, Deus (Have mercy on me, O God) by Gregorio Allegri, who was a priest, composer and singer.

The Passion Clock may be utilized at your own pace and the music lasts for over nine minutes and is set on repeat. If you would rather have no music, simply adjust the volume settings on your computer.
Prayer by St. Alphonsus de Liguori

O my Jesus! I pray Thee make me always remember Thy Passion; and grant that I also, a miserable sinner, overcome at last by so many loving devices, may return to love Thee, and to show Thee, by my poor love some mark of gratitude for the excessive love which Thou, my God and my Saviour, hast borne to me. Amen.


    6 P.M.
After having taken leave of His holy Mother,
Jesus celebrates His Last Supper with His Disciples.


Mother of Sorrows, who on the day of the Last Supper
didst bid a sad farewell to thy Son going to Jerusalem to suffer,
 Pray for us.



After having taken leave of His holy Mother, Jesus celebrates His Last Supper with His Disciples. Admire the excess of His charity, and at the remembrance of it, thank our Lord Jesus Christ for His sufferings and merits, of which he granted us a share at this time; say to Him with love and devotion:

Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst desire to suffer the dolours of thy Passion! I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery. I beseech Thee, by Thy divine merits, O Jesusl to vouchsafe to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


7 P.M.
Jesus washes the feet of His Disciples, and institutes the Sacrament of His Love.



Through Thy ineffable love manifested in the institution of the Sacrifice and Sacrament of Thy most precious Body and Blood, Have mercy on us.



Admire the humility with which Jesus washed the feet of His disciples, and His love which induces Him to give Himself to us to be our food.

Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst institute the divine sacrament of the altar! I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; I implore Thee, Jesus! by Thy divine merits, to vouchsafe to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


8 P.M.
Jesus makes His last Discourse after the Supper,
and then goes to the Garden of Olives




Jesus, conversing with men,   Have mercy on us.



Adore the sacred heart of Jesus, all inflamed with the love of men, and giving to His disciples the food of His holy doctrine.

Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou gavest Thy last instructions, which only breathed the most tender charity, and which were followed by the admirable example of the sacrifice of Thyself! I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; I beseech Thee through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to vouchsafe to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


9 P.M.
Jesus prays with his face on the ground: "O my Father,"
says He, "if it be possible, let this chalice pass from Me;
nevertheless, not My will, but Thine be done."




Jesus, praying in the Garden of Olives, Have mercy on us.



Jesus prays with his face on the ground: "O my Father," says He, "if it be possible, let this chalice pass from Me; nevertheless, not My will, but Thine be done."

Admire the perfect submission of Jesus. Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst accept with so much love, the chalice of Thy Passion! I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; I beseech Thee through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to vouchsafe to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


10 P.M.
Jesus begins His agony, and sweats blood and water.



Jesus, in Thine agony bathed in a bloody sweat, Have mercy on us.



Adore the sacred heart of Jesus as the source of eternal life. Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst vouchsafe for our sakes to be seized with fear and filled with anguish! I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; I beseech Thee through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to vouchsafe to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


11 P.M.
Jesus is strengthened by an angel.



Jesus Strengthened by an angel,   Have mercy on us.



Adore the Divine Saviour as the truth that enlightens the world, and the life that animates it.

Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst vouchsafe, for the sake of our weakness, to accept the consolations of an angel! I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; I implore Thee through Thy Divine merits, O Jesus! to remember me at the the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


At Midnight
Jesus is betrayed by the kiss of Judas, and bound with chains.



Mother of Sorrows, who didst learn that He was betrayed by Judas, and led away captive,   Pray for us.


Adore the Divine Saviour in His slavery of love. Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst choose to be bound, in order to draw us to Thee by the sweet chains of Thy love! I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; I beseech Thee, through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to vouchsafe to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


1 A.M.
Jesus is led to Annas.



Through Thy being bound, and brought before the tribunals
of Annas and Caiphas,   Have mercy on us.



Adore Jesus, as the teacher of truth, reduced by His love to the greatest abasement.

Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst choose to be delivered up to the fury of wicked men; oh, grant that I may humble myself for the love of Thee! I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; beseech Thee, through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to vouchssfe to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


2 A.M.
Jesus is accused before Caiphas, where He receives a blow on His face, and answers meekly to him that struck Him.

Through the blows, buffets, and opprobrious usage Thou didst endure
the night before the Crucifixion,   Have mercy on us.



Admire the ineffible gentleness of Jesus. Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst choose to suffer this insult, in order to teach us to be meek and humble of heart. I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; and I beseech Thee, through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to vouchsafe to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


3 A.M.
Whilst Jesus is insulted in the prison,
He is also denied by St. Peter for the third time.




Jesus, blindfolded,   Have mercy on us.


Admire the profound sorrow of Jesus on seeing Himself forsaken by all His disciples, and beholding the cowardice of St. Peter, and the malice with which the Jews bandage His eyes, and strike Him and turn Him into ridicule.

Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst vouchsafe by one look of compassion to touch the heart of Thy disciple; oh, do Thou pierce mine with love and sorrow for my sins! I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; and beseech Thee, through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


4 A.M.
Jesus summoned before the Great Council,
is declared worthy of death.




Mother of Sorrows, who didst hear the unjust sentence
pronounced against Him,   Pray for us.



Admire the modesty and the patience of our Divine Saviour. Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst choose by Thy silence to suffer the opprobrium of passing for a blasphemer and for a criminal worthy of death. I adore Thee, O Eternal Word! and I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; I beseech Thee, through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


5 A.M.
Jesus is led before Pilate, in whose presence He is accused.



Through Thy presentation to the pagan judge, Pilate,
in the quality of a notorious criminal,   Have mercy on us.



Salute Him and adore Him as your master, your Saviour, and your king. Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst vouchsafe, for the love of us, to suffer this fresh outrage. I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; and beseech Thee, through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


6 A.M.
Jesus, in the presence of Herod, is clothed in a white robe, and treated as a fool.



Through Thy being sent before Herod, and scornfully treated
by that wicked king and his soldiers,   Have mercy on us.



Adore the Son of God, in whom His divine power is thus veiled. Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst choose to be loaded with insults; oh, let my consolation be to be despised for Thy sake! I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; I beseech Thee, through divine merits, O Jesus! to vouchsafe to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


7 A.M.
Jesus is conducted to Pilate, and Barabbas is preferred to Him.



Through the barbarous clamors of the people to have Barabbas the murderer released, and the innocent Jesus put to death,
Have mercy on us.



Adore the heart of Jesus, inexhaustible treasure of every good, open to all, and too little known by men. Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst choose to suffer this insulting preference. Oh, detach my heart from all created things! I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; I beseech Thee, through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to vouchsafe to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


8 A.M.
Jesus is cruelly scourged at the pillar,
His blood flows on every side.




Through the cruel and contumelious scourging Thou didst endure
at the pillar,   Have mercy on us.



Admire the immense love to which the wounds of our Saviour bear witness. Blessed be the hour, O my Saviour Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst choose to be torn by scourges, and to shed Thy precious blood in order to blot out my sins. I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; and I beseech Thee, through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to vouchsafe to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


9 A.M.
Jesus is crowned with thorns, and afterwards
insulted by the soldiers.




Through the pressing of a crown of sharp pointed thorns
on Thy sacred head,   Have mercy on us.



Adore the divine King of your heart, in this cruel state in which He suffers for you. Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst vouchsafe to suffer this painful crowning for our sakes! Oh, pierce my heart with sorrow and regret for having offended Thee! I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; and I beseech Thee, through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


10 A.M.
Pilate condemns Jesus to death,
and abandons Him to the cruelty of the Jews.




Jesus, condemned to an ignominious death,   Have mercy on us.


Adore the Holy of holies, treated as a criminal, and led to Calvary with the Cross on His shoulders. Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst vouchsafe, for the love of us, to be condemned to death, and delivered up to thy cruel enemies. Thou didst then walk laden with a heavy cross, in order to help me to carry mine with patience; I thank Thee for it, I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; and I beseech Thee, through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to vouchsafe to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


11 A.M.
Jesus is stripped of His garments and fastened to the Cross.



Through the shameful stripping of Thy clothes, and exposing
Thy naked Body to the multitude,   Have mercy on us.



Adore this Divine Lamb, immolated as a victim on the altar of the Cross. Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst choose to be stripped of Thy garments and sacrificed as a lamb that is slain, to be offered in Holocaust. Oh, give me a heart capable of returning this great love! I unite all my actions and all my suffering to this adorable mystery; and I beseech Thee, through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


12 P.M.
Jesus prays for His executioners,
and promises Paradise to the good thief.




Through Thy excessive charity in praying for Thy persecutors and murderers, and promising paradise to the penitent thief,
Have mercy on us.



Adore the Divine Shepherd, who gives His life for His sheep. Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst vouchsafe to give Thyself up as a victim of expiation for us; oh, may Thy cross soften Thy judgment, and comfort my soul at the hour of my death! I unite all my actions and all my suffermgs to this adorable mystery; and I implore Thee through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


1 P.M.
Jesus offers His Soul up to His Divine Father, and recommends His holy Mother to His beloved disciple, whom He also recommends to His holy Mother.



Through Thy agony, in which Thou didst commend Thy blessed soul into the hands of Thy heavenly Father,   Have mercy on us.


Admire the entire resignation of our most holy Redeemer upon the Cross; give Him eternal thanksgiving for the love which induced Him to entrust us in the person of St. John to the care of His Divine Mother.

Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, In which Thou didst ordain that Mary should become our Mother! Oh, grant that the love of Thee and of her may inflame my heart! I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; I beseech Thee, through Thy divine merits, O Jesus to vouchsafe to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


2 P.M.
Jesus cries out, " My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" Then He says, "I thirst" and having taken the vinegar, He says, "It is consummated."



Jesus, in Thy thirst given gall and vinegar
to drink,   Have mercy on us.


Admire the inalterable patience of the Son of God, and sympathise with this burning thirst which He feels for our salvation.

Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst vouchsafe to give us such touching examples of resignation and of zeal for the salvation of souls, and for the accomplishment of the will of Thy heavenly Father. I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; and I beseech Thee, through Thy divine merits, O Jesus! to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.


3 P.M.
Jesus crying out with a loud voice, bends down
His head and expires.




Jesus, commending Thy spirit into the hands of
Thy Father,  Have mercy on us.


Admire the last sigh of God your Saviour, and the sacrifice that He makes of Himself on the Cross for our salvation. Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou didst vouchsafe to die for us, in order to consummate the great work of our redemption. I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; and I beseech Thee, through Thy Divine merits, O Jesus! to remember me at the hour of my death and to grant me pardon and mercy.


4 P.M.
A soldier pierces the sacred side of Jesus with a lance,
after which, Joseph and Nicodemus take down His holy Body from the Cross, and place it in the arms of His afflicted Mother.




Through the piercing of Thy Side with a lance, and the water and blood
which issued therefrom,   Have mercy on us.



Adore this sacred wound, from which flowed forth blood and water. Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, in which Thou wert pleased, through Thy wound, to open to us Thy sacred heart, the source of salvation and grace; oh, let Thy divine unction flow upon us through the hands of Mary, to whom Thou didst leave us as her adopted children! I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; and I beseech Thee, through Thy Divine merits, O Jesus! to vouchsafe to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.






Mother of Sorrows, who didst receive into thy maternal bosom the lifeless Body of Thy Son, taken down from the cross,   Have mercy on us.
 


5 P.M.
Jesus is placed in the holy Sepulchre.



Jesus laid in the sepulcher,     Have mercy on us.



Adore Jesus Christ, who remains in our tabernacle as it were inclosed in a holy sepulchre. Blessed be the hour, O my Lord Jesus Christ, which Thou wert pleased to resign Thyself into the hands of Joseph and Nicodemus to be buried which foreshowed so well the generosity with which Thou dost abandon Thyself into the hands of the priests, in order that Thou mayest Thy own self provide the better for my wants. O my Jesus! grant me a share in the compassion of Thy holy Mother, arm me with the courage of Thy two disciples against human respect; but above all give me the ardent love of Mary Magdalen, in order that I may seek Thee until I have found Thee risen again to die no more. I unite all my actions and all my sufferings to this adorable mystery; and I beseech Thee, through Thy Divine merits, O Jesus! to vouchsafe to remember me at the hour of my death, and to grant me pardon and mercy.