WE HAVE MOVED!

"And I beheld, and heard the voice of one eagle flying through the midst of heaven,
saying with a loud voice: Woe, woe, woe to the inhabitants of the earth....
[Apocalypse (Revelation) 8:13]

Monday, January 22, 2018

Catholic Veil Colours For Mass

Catholic Veil Colours For Mass

One of the questions I have received from a lot of people who watched my video on Veiling is whether certain veil colours are to be worn for various liturgical events.
Some people have also stated that married women should only wear black veils and unmarried women and girls should wear white veils.



In all honesty, there are no Biblical or Catechetical specifications on what veil colours should be worn, when or by whom.
The most important thing is that a woman veils in presence of Christ.
The idea of married women wearing black veils and unmarried females wearing white veils comes from Spanish, Italian and Latina cultures and traditions.
It is not necessarily a Biblical or Catholic tradition and as veiling is an instruction given by God BEFORE Spanish, Latin and Italian cultures came into being, I do not think it is imperative to follow the veiling traditions of these cultures.
Some people have also denounced women wearing coloured veils or veils in metallic shades like gold or silver, labelling them as being prideful or ostentatious.
Personally, I think this is ridiculous and taking modesty a little too far.
As women, we should be modest, yes, of course!
However, modesty does not mean we are to be frumpy, dowdy or dull in appearance. Quite the contrary!
In fact, femininity and part of being a woman entail dressing in bright, feminine, beautiful shades and fabrics – with moderation!!
In the natural order, it is unacceptable for a man to wear bright, flowery clothing.
Men should be dressed like men …… in sombre, dignified clothing and shades.
This is why it feels off to see a man wearing a pink or yellow suit, but it is acceptable for a woman to wear clothing in shades of pink, yellow or other colours.
Suppressing our femininity goes against God’s Will.
God who made us female expects us to express our femininity, within reasonable boundaries, because it glorifies Him.  Through women and our femininity, His beauty is reflected.  Through men and their masculinity, His strength is reflected.
It is therefore okay to wear bright, happy, fun, feminine colours in your clothing.
It is fun to be a girl.  It shows a clear difference between your femininity and the masculinity of men.
As with all things, modesty and moderation should be observed.
So while it is acceptable to wear 3inch high heels to Church or out and about, it is immoderate to wear 6inch stilettos, you get me?
Okay, back to veil colours.
why wear a chapel veil, howto wear a mantilla veil to mass, catholic head coverings, catholic veil colors, infinity chapel, mantilla color significance, what colour mantilla should i wear, catholic veil for sale, black vs white mantilla, catholic veils meaning, catholic mantilla colors, wearing veils at mass, why wear a chapel veil,
As long as the veil is not a major distraction, ie covered with feathers, jingly bells or a kaleidoscope of bright colours etc, I see no reason why you cannot wear a veil in any colour you desire.
Some people who are new to veiling may be very self-conscious in a white veil, especially if they are in a Novus Ordo parish.
In that case, wearing a black or brown veil or a veil in a shade close to your natural hair colour can help you feel less conspicuous.
You wear different clothes and shoes in different shades and colours when you attend Sunday Mass, don’t you?  I do not see why veiling should be any different.
Some people, like me, enjoy changing their veils to suit certain liturgical events.
I also think it is a great way to evangelise the issue of veiling itself, the colours and the liturgical feasts attached to them.


Here is a summary of how I veil throughout the year.

MARIAN FEAST DAYS:

Our Lady’s colour is blue, so it makes sense for me to wear a blue veil on Her feast day, especially if it is a Holy Day of Obligation.
Depending on which Marian Feast it is, I would either wear a deep blue veil or a soft blue veil.
            

ORDINARY TIME:

The colour for Ordinary Time is green.
I do not wear green veils, but I would wear either a black veil or a dark brown veil close to my hair colour.  During the summer months, I might even wear a white veil.
   

ADVENT AND LENT:

The colour for these liturgical periods is purple or violet – NOT lavender.
During these periods, I wear a purple coloured veil or a black veil, usually in an infinity style.
   

GAUDETE SUNDAY AND LAETARE SUNDAY:

Rose is the colour of the day, so I break out my rose-coloured veil for these Sundays.
     

CHRISTMAS AND EASTER:

Gold veils are most appropriate for these.
I might also wear a cream-coloured veil at Easter.

FEASTS OF THE PASSION OF JESUS AND HOLY SPIRIT:

As the colour for these occasions is red, I like to wear a deep red or burgundy-coloured veil.


ADORATION:

I switch between a black or a white veil for Adoration.


FUNERALS:

My go-to veil for Catholic funerals is black, of course, and preferably in an infinity style.



WEDDINGS:

I do not feel too comfortable wearing white veils at a Catholic wedding because the bride is usually in white.
So, for these occasions, I would wear a pretty silver veil.
It is not white, but the metallic shade is still celebratory and does not upstage the bride.
   

Now, what about you?  Do you prefer to change up your veil colour or do you stick to one shade?

SOURCE

7 comments:

  1. Great News! I have many different colored veils and I am very happy to know that it is okay to wear them (other than just black or white). I do either wear a color that corresponds with my outfit or that coincides with certain feast days and special occasions. Thanks for posting this Eric! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. QUESTION: I notice at my new church that the women (almost all) cover their entire arms down to the wrist (jacket, sweater, long sleeves). Is this a requirement for modesty? I have read that as long as your shoulders are not exposed, it's okay. I get very hot in mass so I try to wear at least a short sleeve, or 3/4 length sleeve...any comments? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette, ideally your sleeves should be no shorter than elbow length, but it is often hard to find that length in the summer. So I will wear a 1/4 length sleeve with a light summer sweater that has 3/4 sleeves to Mass.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Karen...I always welcome your thoughts. I am in Florida and although we have had some much cooler weather lately...a sweater that I can push up the sleeves to 3/4 length would work well. However, hot summers...eek, very hard unless they really pump up the a/c :)

      Delete
  3. I have 2 veils,one is dark blue and the other is cream colored, and I switch back and forth between them depending on the color of my dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me it doesn't matter what colour the veil you wear, the important is you wear a veil during adoration and holy mass. Thank you for this post this will remind us all

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a Portuguese married woman I can only wear black (or silver) and my girls white as they are not married. This is the norm in Portugal and it has always been. If we saw a married woman wearing a white veil we could only laugh. And colours for veils are not an option for us.

    ReplyDelete